There are few options that are controlling Skype For Business functionalities for users:
- Standard CAL – only IM functions;
- Enterprise CAL – all conferencing / presenting / IM features. But here’s a small disadvantage – Skype CAL applies to a user, not to specific device.
- Registry keys – available for both, Machine and User registry hives (doing it this way, brings you an option to configure different conferencing options (based on endpoint device) for the same user). I worked on that for a little while and prepared Skype For Business ADMX Policies that can be used in Policy Definitions / Central Store for Policies. End result:
Of course, you can configure all above settings using reg keys / GPO Preferences:
For All users (Machine setting)
For Current User (User setting)
Disable Emoticons: DisableEmoticons / DWORD (1/0)
Disable Presence Note: DisablePresenceNote / DWORD (1/0)
Disable Skype For Business Conferencing Options: TelephonyMode / DWORD (0-5)
Force Immediate Address Book Download: GALDownloadInitialDelay / DWORD
Prevent users from running Skype For Business: PreventRun / DWORD (1/0)
Remove IM Icons and Menus: DisableIM / DWORD (1/0)
Most of these are pretty much self-explanatory, below I’m going to explain other ones.
- “Disable Skype For Business Conferencing Options” – may be configured with one of 5 following values:
- Value “0” – Allow only PC to PC calls (this is default, as Not Configured)
- Value “1” – Allow Enterprise Voice features
- Value “3” – Allow Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration
- Value “4” – Allow Remote Call Control, Disallow PC to PC calls
- Value “5” – Allow only Instant Messaging and Presence features
- Force Immediate Address Book Download” – Default setting (not configured) makes Skype For Business download Address Book in randomized period of time between 1 to 60 minutes. When you change GALDownloadInitialDelay value to “0” it will download Address Book immediately.
Download ADMX files: Skype For Business ADMX Policies
P.S. These Policies are located in Machine (Computer Configuration) settings.
P.S.2 Settings for 64bit Skype for business version are defined under Wow6432Node which is not a target for these policies (only 32bit version will work).